Saturday, September 20, 2008

In "Summery": Etsy Bloggers Blog Carnival

I'm a brand spanking new member of the Etsy Bloggers street team, and one of the cool activities involved is participating in bi-monthly blog carnivals. The latest choice of topics included "In summery", an excuse to blog about what you did this summer. Since I'm both a smart-aleck and a word-nerd I couldn't resist the punny title, so that's the topic I chose.

This summer actually marked the kick-off of my PurrPrints etsy shop (opened May 20th; "Indoor Cat Dreams," shown here, was one of the first listings to go up in my shop). It took all of three days before my husband began joking about my new addiction--I was constantly on the etsy forums, revising my shop, putting up new listings, or drawing new cats. I'd been selling my designs on cafepress and on zazzle for about a year before discovering etsy, but somehow those never proved as addictive as etsy (though I still keep them running because I can't hand-make some of the items I'm able to sell there).

So the summary of my summer-y months can be summed up in that one word: etsy. Sure, I also taught a professional writing class at my local university (my persona when teaching, as you might imagine, is quite different than the one I maintain online--tongue-in-cheek self-aggrandizement doesn't work as well for a room full of would-be professionals) and finished up my PhD coursework by taking a class on Linguistic Theory, but really all I remember is etsy (of course, when it's a toss up between reading de Saussure or etsy forums, the choice isn't exactly a tough one--unless you have a paper due the next day, that is).

But look at me blathering on; aren't summaries supposed to be short? And I'm a writing instructor, too--what a truly scary thought.

1 bits of commenty goodness:

BeadedTail said... 9/20/08, 1:05 PM

Welcome to the EtsyBloggers! I enjoyed your blog carnival! I think you summed up how a lot of summers were spent - addicted to Etsy!