Monday, January 5, 2009

Getting going with my wacom tablet: Night Roses

primitive, folk, art, cat, yellow, purple, gray, green, blue, purrprints, night roses
I usually try to avoid titles as dull as that one, but I think my creativity level for the day got sucked up by my drawing and didn't leave anything behind for clever word play. So it will just have to be sincere Becca tonight--what a drag, I know .

So I finally decided to use my new wacom tablet (thank you again, Santa/hubby) to create a piece of art, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Recently I've been sketching a lot of folk-ish primitive-y style cats, in a very different style than my prvious stuff, but I'd yet to transfer any of them to the computer and make a complete piece (my usual approach is to do the preliminary drawing with pen and paper, scan my original, and digitally colorize the piece). Tonight I skipped the scanning stage and just went for straight drawing into Photoshop via my tablet. I was particularly into the idea of using something so modern to create something that looked very rough and primitive--what do you all think?

Oh--and does anyone have a title idea for the piece? Titles aren't my strong suit :) (added later: thanks Mishkat for the inspiration--the title is now "Night roses")

So far I don't know how to use all the bells and whistles on my tablet, but I'm loving the ones I've figured out so far--like how the pressure sensitive tip will vary the width of my lines and how I can flip the pen around and use the "eraser" on the reverse tip if I draw something I don't like.

Anywho, that's probably enough sincere glee for one night--I don't want to make anyone feel queasy or anything :)

p.s.--I only have this listed as an 8x10 currently--but if you'd like a print version of this as a 5x7 or art card let me know; I'm happy to make it for you.

p.p.s.--Since a few people have asked: yes, a wacom tablet is a device with a digital pen and pad through which i can draw or write directly into programs like Photoshop.

10 bits of commenty goodness:

Lux said... 1/5/09, 12:52 AM

I love it - it's so whimsical and the color combination's great. (Is that the word I mean? It's late.)

Is a wacom tablet a graphics tablet of some sort? I've always thought those would be fun to use.

Anyway, our creativity level is nil at the moment also - I asked my hubby and he said, "Yellow Cat." ;-)

Anonymous said... 1/5/09, 1:16 AM

Yellow Cat in Space was our idea. We're not very creative.

ABrushWithHumor said... 1/5/09, 8:45 AM

I like it! Good job. Let's call it "Zorro's dream - grape jelly covered cat grass"

mmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Robin

Laura said... 1/5/09, 9:00 AM

Very nice! How about "Tail Admiration" for the title?

Mishkat said... 1/5/09, 10:38 AM

I'm not good at titles either, but this is great! I am envious that you could actually draw this digitally (I know nothing about Wacom tablets, but will have to find out). The color combination is wonderful, and I like the cat's pose and expression. He (she?) looks like he's in a rose garden at night to me :)

PurrPrints said... 1/5/09, 1:51 PM

Ooo-I like everyone's ideas--but I think I might go for Night roses as the title--or maybe galaxy cat--though Zorro would probably be thrilled to get grape jelly covered cat grass ;)

hmmm...

Lux said... 1/5/09, 6:49 PM

Night Roses is a perfect title! :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Boutique By Bonnie said... 1/5/09, 9:58 PM

Just found your blog and I love it! I guess I have to with two cats at home!

storybeader said... 1/6/09, 12:53 AM

love how your piece turned out!

Ailurophile said... 1/6/09, 3:13 AM

It looks pretty!! Night Roses or Galaxy Cat - both titles would be great. The Wacom Tablet must be fun to use - and quite handy too. Hope you had a great start to the New Year - have a great week!